Does Washing Clothes Kill Dust Mites? A study from California found that washing clothes do not kill dust mites. However, it does help to reduce their number by about 90%.
This is because washing clothes removes loose dust and other particles from our bedding and clothing. These particles are a food source for the dust mites to die off without them.
According to the new study, doing laundry in relatively hot water (140 F) eliminates 100% dust mites.
Only six percent of the dust mites get eliminated when the temperature is reduced by 36 degrees to a warm temperature of 104 Fharenheights wash. Dog dander and pollen were also removed more effectively with hotter water.
Suppose your delicate clothing can’t handle the heat. In that case, researchers recommend washing it at a lower temperature starting from 86 and 104 F. This should be followed by a thorough rinsing using cold water for a minimum of three minutes each time to reduce dust mites and allergens.
It’s essential to keep in mind that these findings are specific to washing machines – if you’re hand-washing your clothes, you’ll need to use hotter water. Also, make sure to regularly clean your washer and dryer with a hot water cycle to kill any remaining dust mites or allergens.
Instead of Washing Clothes, below are the Best Proven Products For Killing Dust Mites
|#1. Allergycare Cotton Mattress Encasing|
|- 100% Cotton mattress cover|
- Naturally soft cotton fibers
- Woven entirely of chemical-free, naturally soft cotton fibers
- 6 Sided mattresses encasing
- Latex free
|- Very effective
- Soft, cool, breathable, comfortable for the best sleep
- It fully encases the mattress
- Life time warranty
|#2. myWoolly™ Wool Pillow Case|
|- 100% machine washable wool.|
- Size: standard, king, queen.
- Fully encasing
|- Excellent moisture control
- Makes your sleeping surface 100% natural and chemical-free
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Blocks off-gassing from your current pillow
|#3. myWoolly™ Washable Wool Pillow|
|- 100% washable wool pillow.|
- Size: standard, king & queen
- Encased in 100% Natural Cotton, 270TC Percale
|- Helps maintain the spine in its natural position
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
|#4. Allersearch Allergen Wash|
|- Safe for the most delicate fabrics|
- Highly concentrated liquid detergent cleans and remove allergens from 30 medium loads
|- Provide relief for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Wash away dust mites in ANY temp.
|#5. DeMite Laundry Additive|
|- Constitutes Non-Ionic Surfactant, Benzyl Benzoate, Solvent, Methyl Salicylate, Tea Tree Oil|
- You add to your favorite detergent
- Available in 8 oz and 33.6 oz (Liter) bottles
- Simple and safe solution for getting rid of dust mite allergen
|- Safe to use on all colorfast, washable fabrics
- Works well in cold water as it does in hot
|#6. Allersearch X-mite Carpet Powder|
|- Cleaner and neutralizer|
- Contains Tanacetane 2, a tannic acid formulation
- Easy and simle to use
|- Kills household allergens from dust mites
- Medically proven to eliminate harmful allergens for up to 90 days
|#7. Allesearch ADS Anti-Allergen Spray|
|- Contains tannic acid|
- Non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets
|- Medically proven to neutralize the allergens from dust mites, and makes them permanently non-allergic
- Easy to use