Does Sun Kill Dust Mites? For decades, people have believed that the sun kills dust mites. But to this day, there is no definitive proof of this theory.
Dust mites love dark, damp places, which is why they’re often found in mattresses. As such, people who want to get rid of them often take their mattresses outside on sunny days to kill them off.
There are a few main theories on how the sun might destroy dust mites. The protective pigmentation and live in dark crevices. When a mite is exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, a chemical reaction that destroys its DNA and kills it occurs in its body. The process is so quick that it’s possible to watch a mite die using a microscope.
Another theory is that heat exposure can desiccate and kill them. The third idea is that the sun’s rays kill germs in general, and since dust mites are a type of germ, they might be destroyed by UV radiation.
Also, the sun can kill dust mites by drying out their habitat. As dust mites rely on moisture to live, removing this from the environment dehydrates and kills them.
Instead of Sun, below are the Best Proven Products For Killing Dust Mites
|#1. Allergycare Cotton Mattress Encasing|
|- 100% Cotton mattress cover|
- Naturally soft cotton fibers
- Woven entirely of chemical-free, naturally soft cotton fibers
- 6 Sided mattresses encasing
- Latex free
|- Very effective
- Soft, cool, breathable, comfortable for the best sleep
- It fully encases the mattress
- Life time warranty
|#2. myWoolly™ Wool Pillow Case|
|- 100% machine washable wool.|
- Size: standard, king, queen.
- Fully encasing
|- Excellent moisture control
- Makes your sleeping surface 100% natural and chemical-free
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Blocks off-gassing from your current pillow
|#3. myWoolly™ Washable Wool Pillow|
|- 100% washable wool pillow.|
- Size: standard, king & queen
- Encased in 100% Natural Cotton, 270TC Percale
|- Helps maintain the spine in its natural position
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
|#4. Allersearch Allergen Wash|
|- Safe for the most delicate fabrics|
- Highly concentrated liquid detergent cleans and remove allergens from 30 medium loads
|- Provide relief for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Wash away dust mites in ANY temp.
|#5. DeMite Laundry Additive|
|- Constitutes Non-Ionic Surfactant, Benzyl Benzoate, Solvent, Methyl Salicylate, Tea Tree Oil|
- You add to your favorite detergent
- Available in 8 oz and 33.6 oz (Liter) bottles
- Simple and safe solution for getting rid of dust mite allergen
|- Safe to use on all colorfast, washable fabrics
- Works well in cold water as it does in hot
|#6. Allersearch X-mite Carpet Powder|
|- Cleaner and neutralizer|
- Contains Tanacetane 2, a tannic acid formulation
- Easy and simle to use
|- Kills household allergens from dust mites
- Medically proven to eliminate harmful allergens for up to 90 days
|#7. Allesearch ADS Anti-Allergen Spray|
|- Contains tannic acid|
- Non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets
|- Medically proven to neutralize the allergens from dust mites, and makes them permanently non-allergic
- Easy to use