Does Shampooing Carpet Kill Dust Mites? Shampooing your carpet removes the dust mites that live in it, along with any other dirt or debris. However, this does not mean that you should shampoo your carpets regularly to keep dust mites at bay.
When you shampoo your carpet, you kill off many of the dust mites’ food sources in the carpet, which will reduce the number of dust mites in the area. However, this is a temporary solution since skin cells, pollen, and other organic matter will build back up after some time has passed.
In other words, if you want to keep a low population of dust mites in your home, you’ll have to shampoo your carpet regularly.
The shampoo you use may or may not contain any ingredients known to be harmful to dust mites, and since mites are so small, they can easily hide in the fibers of your carpet. In addition, when you shampoo your rug, you will only be able to reach the surface of it. You won’t be able to reach down into the pad and baseboards where many dust mites live.
While shampooing your carpet does kill dust mites temporarily, the shampoo is only effective at removing approximately 85% of the allergens in the first few days after application. After that, the remaining dust mites may multiply enough to restore their population to their original levels before you had shampooed your carpet.
Instead of Shampooing Carpet, below are the Best Proven Products For Killing Dust Mites
|#1. Allergycare Cotton Mattress Encasing|
|- 100% Cotton mattress cover|
- Naturally soft cotton fibers
- Woven entirely of chemical-free, naturally soft cotton fibers
- 6 Sided mattresses encasing
- Latex free
|- Very effective
- Soft, cool, breathable, comfortable for the best sleep
- It fully encases the mattress
- Life time warranty
|#2. myWoolly™ Wool Pillow Case|
|- 100% machine washable wool.|
- Size: standard, king, queen.
- Fully encasing
|- Excellent moisture control
- Makes your sleeping surface 100% natural and chemical-free
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Blocks off-gassing from your current pillow
|#3. myWoolly™ Washable Wool Pillow|
|- 100% washable wool pillow.|
- Size: standard, king & queen
- Encased in 100% Natural Cotton, 270TC Percale
|- Helps maintain the spine in its natural position
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
|#4. Allersearch Allergen Wash|
|- Safe for the most delicate fabrics|
- Highly concentrated liquid detergent cleans and remove allergens from 30 medium loads
|- Provide relief for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Wash away dust mites in ANY temp.
|#5. DeMite Laundry Additive|
|- Constitutes Non-Ionic Surfactant, Benzyl Benzoate, Solvent, Methyl Salicylate, Tea Tree Oil|
- You add to your favorite detergent
- Available in 8 oz and 33.6 oz (Liter) bottles
- Simple and safe solution for getting rid of dust mite allergen
|- Safe to use on all colorfast, washable fabrics
- Works well in cold water as it does in hot
|#6. Allersearch X-mite Carpet Powder|
|- Cleaner and neutralizer|
- Contains Tanacetane 2, a tannic acid formulation
- Easy and simle to use
|- Kills household allergens from dust mites
- Medically proven to eliminate harmful allergens for up to 90 days
|#7. Allesearch ADS Anti-Allergen Spray|
|- Contains tannic acid|
- Non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets
|- Medically proven to neutralize the allergens from dust mites, and makes them permanently non-allergic
- Easy to use