It’s sold in two different versions, one containing fabric freshener and one that’s meant to be sprayed into the air.
When it’s used on fabrics, Febreze works by absorbing malodor molecules. When sprayed in the air, it doesn’t kill odor-causing bacteria — it merely masks odors with fragrances. That’s why you can smell Febreze even after the offending odor has disappeared.
Febreze Fabric Refresher contains a chemical called cyclodextrin (azerolin). This compound traps malodor molecules inside its ring-like structure, removing unpleasant smells from fabrics for up to 30 days.
Febreze does not kill dust mites or any other allergens. The product has no effect on dust mites because it does not contain an insecticide or other chemicals that are toxic to arthropods.
While the hydrogen peroxide in Febreze can break down into oxygen and water, it does not do so rapidly enough to have any effect on the dust mite’s ability to breathe.
Instead of Febreze, below are the Best Proven Products For Killing Dust Mites
|#1. Allergycare Cotton Mattress Encasing|
|- 100% Cotton mattress cover|
- Naturally soft cotton fibers
- Woven entirely of chemical-free, naturally soft cotton fibers
- 6 Sided mattresses encasing
- Latex free
|- Very effective
- Soft, cool, breathable, comfortable for the best sleep
- It fully encases the mattress
- Life time warranty
|#2. myWoolly™ Wool Pillow Case|
|- 100% machine washable wool.|
- Size: standard, king, queen.
- Fully encasing
|- Excellent moisture control
- Makes your sleeping surface 100% natural and chemical-free
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Blocks off-gassing from your current pillow
|#3. myWoolly™ Washable Wool Pillow|
|- 100% washable wool pillow.|
- Size: standard, king & queen
- Encased in 100% Natural Cotton, 270TC Percale
|- Helps maintain the spine in its natural position
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
|#4. Allersearch Allergen Wash|
|- Safe for the most delicate fabrics|
- Highly concentrated liquid detergent cleans and remove allergens from 30 medium loads
|- Provide relief for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Wash away dust mites in ANY temp.
|#5. DeMite Laundry Additive|
|- Constitutes Non-Ionic Surfactant, Benzyl Benzoate, Solvent, Methyl Salicylate, Tea Tree Oil|
- You add to your favorite detergent
- Available in 8 oz and 33.6 oz (Liter) bottles
- Simple and safe solution for getting rid of dust mite allergen
|- Safe to use on all colorfast, washable fabrics
- Works well in cold water as it does in hot
|#6. Allersearch X-mite Carpet Powder|
|- Cleaner and neutralizer|
- Contains Tanacetane 2, a tannic acid formulation
- Easy and simle to use
|- Kills household allergens from dust mites
- Medically proven to eliminate harmful allergens for up to 90 days
|#7. Allesearch ADS Anti-Allergen Spray|
|- Contains tannic acid|
- Non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets
|- Medically proven to neutralize the allergens from dust mites, and makes them permanently non-allergic
- Easy to use