Does Dry Cleaning Kill Dust Mites? Dry cleaning uses solvents instead of water to free dirt, stains, and odors from your clothing and other fabrics. The process involves immersing your items in a liquid solution that removes the offending substances before they’re removed with high-pressure air.
During this process, the chemicals used to clean your items don’t penetrate deep enough into the fabrics to kill dust mites.
The short answer to your question is yes. Dry cleaning will kill dust mites. However, it is the heat from the dryer that does the trick, not the chemicals used in dry cleaning fluid. If you put bedding in a clothes dryer on high heat for at least 10 minutes, you’ll scald the little buggers.
Dust mites contain an enzyme that dry cleaning will wash away. This means that dry cleaning is the best way to effectively kill dust mites in clothing and other fabrics. Dry cleaning will not, however, kill dust mites in carpet and furniture. Washing these items may only spread the mites around without actually killing them.
If you want to prevent dust mite infestations, it’s recommended that you dry clean fabrics at least every six months. Clothes that are not worn often can be dry cleaned less often than clothes that are regularly used. If you have severe allergies due to dust mites, however, it’s best to launder or dry clean all fabrics as often as possible to limit exposure.
Instead of Dry Cleaning, below are the Best Proven Products For Killing Dust Mites
|#1. Allergycare Cotton Mattress Encasing|
|- 100% Cotton mattress cover|
- Naturally soft cotton fibers
- Woven entirely of chemical-free, naturally soft cotton fibers
- 6 Sided mattresses encasing
- Latex free
|- Very effective
- Soft, cool, breathable, comfortable for the best sleep
- It fully encases the mattress
- Life time warranty
|#2. myWoolly™ Wool Pillow Case|
|- 100% machine washable wool.|
- Size: standard, king, queen.
- Fully encasing
|- Excellent moisture control
- Makes your sleeping surface 100% natural and chemical-free
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Blocks off-gassing from your current pillow
|#3. myWoolly™ Washable Wool Pillow|
|- 100% washable wool pillow.|
- Size: standard, king & queen
- Encased in 100% Natural Cotton, 270TC Percale
|- Helps maintain the spine in its natural position
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
|#4. Allersearch Allergen Wash|
|- Safe for the most delicate fabrics|
- Highly concentrated liquid detergent cleans and remove allergens from 30 medium loads
|- Provide relief for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Wash away dust mites in ANY temp.
|#5. DeMite Laundry Additive|
|- Constitutes Non-Ionic Surfactant, Benzyl Benzoate, Solvent, Methyl Salicylate, Tea Tree Oil|
- You add to your favorite detergent
- Available in 8 oz and 33.6 oz (Liter) bottles
- Simple and safe solution for getting rid of dust mite allergen
|- Safe to use on all colorfast, washable fabrics
- Works well in cold water as it does in hot
|#6. Allersearch X-mite Carpet Powder|
|- Cleaner and neutralizer|
- Contains Tanacetane 2, a tannic acid formulation
- Easy and simle to use
|- Kills household allergens from dust mites
- Medically proven to eliminate harmful allergens for up to 90 days
|#7. Allesearch ADS Anti-Allergen Spray|
|- Contains tannic acid|
- Non-toxic and safe for use around children and pets
|- Medically proven to neutralize the allergens from dust mites, and makes them permanently non-allergic
- Easy to use